It comes to NC once a year. And it doesn’t disappoint. The state fair. People drive in from all over for this thing. Some come for the rides, some come for the shows (Kelly pickler!), but most come for the food. “if you can eat it, we can deep fry it”. And they don’t mess around.
A few of us headed off to the fair yesterday (after a pregame of chocolate cake at home...! thanks BG!) Temps started out in the 50s but quickly dropped. Definitely not October weather. i think it might actually be warmer in pittsburgh right now...
Anyway after a few mishaps with meeting up with some friends .. “we’re by the ferris wheel” . 10 minutes later… “we’re now by the swings…” 10 minutes later.. “oh there are three ferris wheels and 2 sets of swings.. ugh!”….
Then the eating began! Items consumed included – but in no particular order..fried buffalo chicken rangoons, fried oreos, fried mac and cheese, fried cookie dough, fried snickers, philly cheese steaks, fried reeses cups, gyros, kettle corn, and perhaps some other culinary perfections I’m forgetting. we did get an eye full of the chicken fried bacon, and folks its exactly as gross looking as you think it is. we tried to follow alysia's "food guide to the fair" and not eat anything not covered in grease, smothered in butter or "natural". i think we did pretty good.
The main focus of the day – besides the food – was seeing the pig races. This is a huge draw, and we made sure to get there early to get a seat. It was well worth it. Long story short, the marquee event was of course the pig race (after goat, duck, baby pigs, pot bellied pigs all raced..) and the pig announcer man put on “lets get ready to rumble” and said he needed 4 lovely ladies to “ride these hogs” to victory. I of course jumped at the chance to represent a fine animal around the track. (see video part one).
When he got to our side to pick the 4th lucky lady, both bri and I shot our hands up and were literally on the edge of our seats. He looked at us and pointed ..”I want you, college girl!”.. surely he cant be talking to us?? But bri started down the bleachers and he was like “nope, her”. I was like OH YEA ME, but oh no bri!!!i mean, at least she eats bacon!
Anyway I trotted down and proceeded to watch my pig come in last place. After being mildly insulted by the pig announcer man for “not knowing which side of the pig to put in a pan”. Hmmm if he only knew! So anyway I didn’t get to be crowed pig queen of the fair… bummer.
Off to see some rather large sized prize winning rabbits, a cow showing, some vintage farm equipment and of course ride the worlds largest slide.
Outstanding day.
Sunday, October 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I love that second video so much (I stole it and put it on my blog) - it really is a shame you didn't get to be pig queen. I would've loved to see his face if you then told him you were a vegetarian!
Wait, your pig finished last??? You are so totally NOT the pig queen. :)
Do I even want to know what a fried buffalo chicken rangoon is?? I don't think so.
Glad you guys had fun!! :)
THIS IS FANTASTIC! I agree with Bri...
Racing in this pen is the BOCA BURGER QUEEN...!
okay- this is really funny. I didn't know they did stuff like this up north. plus, you had me at fried cookie dough
Post a Comment