Wednesday, July 29, 2009

on the mend...

Wow. Its been a while. Where to begin. I spent last week in salt lake city for work. Many of you question not only my sanity but wonder what the heck I do all the time besides make crafts and send out a billion emails during the day....so here it is- or at least a part of it – our space at the outdoor retailer show – some of my job revolves around design of our space and coordination of staff and stuff going to and at the show.


its a super cool show, if you actually get to walk around!
this is a copy of the daily newspaper that comes out and shows some of the fun stuff that happens here. oh and the whole mormon thing is pretty interesting.. best line from a radio station talking about their playlist was "just like a polygamist husband one is never enough"

In the summer its all about paddle sports and running and climbing and every major company, and some smaller ones are there showing off the latest gear, and nutrition. Yep GU and clif and nuun and many others are there offering up free samples that I tried my very best to grab in mass quantities… in the winter we get to go skiing.. but no such luck this time. we missed the open water demo for some of the paddle boards.. definately need to check that out next time!!!

to show what a small world it is.. see if you recognize anyone on this poster - we sponsored a student design contest and they had to create a story board to describe their garment and this girl chose a great inspiriation!

It’s a long week though. With 10 hour days at the show and then trying to maybe fit in a work out when possible. The hotel gym of course sucked but I was lucky enough to find a sports complex about 15 minutes away with a gorgeous 50m outdoor pool. It was even better the one morning I went when the sun came up over the mtns… though I will say the altitude KILLED me. I could not catch my breath and found myself hanging on the wall more than once. maybe a week of high altitude training did me some good (or im telling myself that..)


I made a bad call (super BAD) and ended up on the red eye home. I really need to swear that off for good. Even though I got bumped to first, a three hour flight that leaves SLC at 1 am local time is never a good idea. My co-worker and I actually slept in the Atlanta airport for an hour or so on the most uncomfortable chairs, but I guess we were desperate. I got home Saturday late morning and well it all started going down hill. I slept most of the rest of the day anyway and skipped my workout, just feeling no gusto. I made plans to meet a friend for a ride and run the next morning and was looking forward to getting back on my bike and a good workout. But that wasn’t happening. From the start I felt sluggish and could never catch my breath. We were defiantly not burning up the road and yet I was dying a slow death out there. The heat was definitely a factor as the temp and humidity was super high. We made it back to our cars and headed out for a t run. Immediately I was dizzy and sick and well just not right. I stopped to walk and that was the end of the day for me. I spent the next 2 days on the couch trying to drink fluids and just rest and get better. and watching some really really bad tv. i mean i normally dont watch to much at all but with nothing else to do and having to relax.. i found myself watchng charm school on vh1 and re runs of what not to wear and even some emeril on FLN...and that dance your ass off show.. oh lord...need to get back to normal.. tv sucks!!!

Today I finally feel like I’m on the mend. And just in time as I’ve got a little bit of a race on Saturday… so keep your fingers crossed that all of this is behind and maybe just maybe the rest was a good thing.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I'm glad you are feeling better!! Just in time. ;) Your super taper is going to leave you feeling awesome on Saturday! See you soon!

GoBigGreen said...

Oh darn. I think travelling sucks. all that bad air on the planes and if you were with other people for a week who knows what you picked up!
So are you doing Steelhead?WOOT! go girl!

BreeWee said...

Almost race day for you, have a happy recovery weekend, and MY GOSH, what fotos on that poster, ha ha, hilarious! Thanks for having me check it out...

Take care and rest up!