Monday, July 6, 2009

Training.

Oh yea that’s right. Sometimes I get sidetracked in talking about other things and well to me they are fun and important.

Starting the holiday weekend felt great Thursday afternoon, getting an extra half day off of work is a real treat. I had a swim and a run on tap and headed over to my pool to do some laps. The pool had been closed for like 2 weeks for them to resurface the walls or something so when I arrived to find them behind schedule and still not open I was a little peeved. Stupid gym. Stupid me paying dues to a place that I go to maybe once a week these days. Granted that changes in the winter but maybe it’s time to cut the cord there… anyway after a few curse words, I had to weigh my options, first choice was the neighborhood pool but that was quickly poo poo’d since there were about three trillion kids in there and no way was I trying to swim around them and the plethora of floating things. So I headed over to the Morrisville aquatic center. It’s a pretty nice pool but again, open to the public and that means KIDS! Ha. Thankfully they rope off 2 lanes for swimming and I was able to snag one of them. Admittedly it was nice to be swimming outside in the sun. felt really good. After that headed home and went for a VERY easy run.

Friday morning I went out for a long ride and run. Typical. Temps were pretty mild for most of the ride, but they really started to creep up toward the end and by the time the run came around it was not pleasant. The saving grace were the bouts of cloud cover. I was itching to ride my new bike, but decided that my first ride on it should not be three hours, and besides I had no bottle cages or computer or anything on it yet, so I took the cannodale for one last hurrah. The rest of the day was spent doing pretty much nothing. Which I must say is not really a bad thing. We weren’t heading to the beach until later that afternoon (change of plans from earlier in the week) so what else does one do with time to kill but grab a popsicle and head out to the deck to read a bit. NICE.

We started toward the beach about 5 pm but then 20 or so minutes down I40 bobby realizes he forgot his clubs. So back home we go. We are taking a bit of a detour to the beach, one of bobby’s operators lost his wife to cancer earlier that week and he wanted to go and pay respects. Since we had the dogs I said I would just wait for him. So the three of us (me and the girls) set up camp in a church yard across the street. And then the calling began. I left messages from here to as far as the blackberry would reach- many of them sounding something like this “hey (insert name here) just calling to say hi and see what you are up to for the holiday weekend. I’m sitting on a picnic table in a church parking lot with the dogs… Madison, Madison don’t eat that! and a lone trucker in the middle of tobacco country waiting for bobby to get done with a wake. Ring me back when you get some time, OOOF (that was me getting pulled off the table).. ok see ya!”.

Hmm so nice weekend at the beach. Minus the fact that the worst of the worst drivers always seem to find the same stretch of I40 that we are on coming home and well four hours later..

Back to the grind today. Some might think my impromptu trip to Belk to buy a RL polo might be a wonderful excuse to take a longer lunch, but in fact these little buying trips are no such fun. And they always seem to come on the days when something goes a muck and I’ve no time to stop at auntie ann’s for a soft pretzel.. woe is me.

Hoping to find a deserted track for some repeats tonight, but not sure of the prospects.

No comments: