Thursday, May 7, 2009

Crazy is no fun…

When you are by yourself.

This week has been tough. Bobby has been gone to new York for work so not only do I only have the girls to talk to – which in some ways is good as they tend to give me their undivided attention and never disagree – but I’m having to do torturous things like cook my own dinner and clean up after myself. Oh the horrors. But it’s true. Though my bike is still on the trainer in the middle of the kitchen and I have about 4 pairs of shoes sitting in the hallway along with my backpack and a week’s worth of contents..…shhhhhh…. Tuesday night I spent about 10 minutes on the phone with bobby trying to figure out how I can possibly get the tuna I got from trader joe’s to cook right. yes it was pre-marinated. Yes it was frozen and had to be de-thawed. That is the step that threw me for a loop. I figured the thawing would happen pretty quick. Don’t things melt fast? Umm no. (and yes I’m an idiot). So I just tossed the thing in the oven and hoped for the best. Anyway the other fiasco was the dishwasher broke like 4 minutes after he left on Sunday. And it was full. And for 2 days I kept pressing the button hoping some magical Kenmore elf had come into fix it but no. still nothing. And meanwhile I’ve used up every dish in the house and am contemplating getting out the “good” stuff (i.e. wedding registry) because I don’t want to wash dishes…..And then bobby tells me to look at the middle switch above the sink.. apparently it was flipped the wrong way. Uhhh what? When did he learn this little tidbit of information and why has he not shared it with me. I am now wondering how many other switches we have in the house that are sneaky like that. so needless to say, when he leaves I tend to go a bit off the deep end and well… it’s not pretty. The ONE good thing though is having the whole bed to myself. That is fantastic. I can sleep diagonally and hog all the covers. And Madison loves it too since she doesn’t get kicked out. sweet.

Training this week has been tough at times. Mainly because of some other things going on - so the focus has been to finish and then jump into something else.. and not much time to properly recover afterwards. That’s really hurt me – since I know its contributing to being tired and kind of sluggish this week during the day. I need to get better at planning the post workout eating ahead of time. Also the Carolina heat and humidity has started to show up here and there… which can be brutal. I’m kind of back to frustrated with the swim. I really had felt like I was making some progress but now I think I’m back to lack luster. It’s defiantly a slow process. I’m hoping for a good swim in florida next week to at least see some improvement from last fall (the first and last time I’ve done 70.3). I’ve been hitting my marks on the bike and run this week pretty well so I’ve been happy with that. And I’ve also realized I’m kind of a bitch sometimes. (I know.. SHOCKER right?) It’s at the gym when I’m lifting. I’m not sure if someone pins a sign on my back that says talk to me….but it seems every time I’m in there some dude has something so important to tell me and I take off my ipod only to find out he has let stupidity slip through his lips. So now I just ignore people. Literally will walk away or stare straight ahead. I don’t even make the motion of “oh I’m listening to music cant hear you” anymore. And I’m happier for it. MUCH.

6 comments:

Marit C-L said...

Yeah - whenever "they" leave (same with Nathaniel) - something always happens. Ha ha about the dish washer...I would TOTALLY do that. Ours broke a few days before he returned from Afghanistan, and so I used up all the other dishes in the house before washing one. Only problem? He came home a day early with NO CLEAN DISHES and a broken dishwasher.

Yeah - I remember that heat and humidity... Ugh. NOT very fun... Hang in there though.

YES - the recovery stuff is uber important! Let me know if you need more bars...the boxed chocolate milk also works really great. Not so good when its warm...but it still does the trick.

HOORAY for the great workouts!

EmilyBlanche said...

ha! you and i have similar logic when it comes to cooking...it's the simple things i forget.

Beth said...

I would so do that with the dishwasher - just keep pushing the same button hoping it would magically work... Amazingly that has never worked for me. I wonder why?! :)

Anyway - post workout recovery is tough - it's so important but time consuming!! You'll make it work - I have faith. :)

Enjoy the rest of your week and then TAPER!!! :) Have fun!

TriGirl Kate O said...

No husbands = no cooking in my house. I haven't yet broken down (or been smart enough) to remember just to use paper plates. Next time!!!

GoBigGreen said...

Hi ya! Package on its way. Food. will sustain you for a few hours. Then you are on your own:)
I am losing interest in the pool as well. Seems like i need an outdoor lake or something as i DREAD waking up saying "UH OH MASTERS. BLAH."

Ok and for the gym stuff. Yes "STEP AWAY FROM ME AND NOBODY GETS HURT"
You can say that with a facial expression cant you?

Maria and Nate said...

Haha! I'm glad you survived (barely) without Bobby... I don't do so well without Nate either. I agree with you on refusing to wash dishes by hand and I also love the whole bed to myself (with Jake)!