Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Dare I say it?

I’m boring. Yep. BORING. Havent had much to report lately so I’ve negleted the blog. I mean who really wants to hear about the dogs running away (totally not my fault so you know where the blame lies there!) or that its now hot enough to eat the ice pops in our freezer (yum).
I had a great week of training last week which included a few new group workouts, the lake swim, and also a ride with some pretty speedy girls that made me ride out front with a bit of fear in my heart that they were behind me! Also finally managed an 80 mile ride, which was mostly good, except for the last 30 or so minutes when the pain came. Not really fatigue or legs or back, but my feet. Yes. The right one felt slightly cracked and the left a bit tender. Not sure what that’s about. Maybe I need to assess my pedal placement on my shoes..
This weekend we headed up to philly for graduation. We had booked the flight months ago, in no way being able to predict that Game 7 would be on, when the penguins had to lay it all out to grab the cup. And not knowing that the exact moment we flew down the runway, the puck would be dropped. And not understanding why, upon arrival in the philly airport, there was NOTHING open to even get a glimpse of the game. And then not making the train to the city by exactly 35 seconds. And then not saying happy things to the hotel operator when NBC was the only channel we didn’t get in our hotel room. And finally finding a bar that had the game on and watching the last 10 minutes. Well worth it to see the sheer joy on the faces of the team. But quite the fiasco, and much love to those who sent me endless updates on the game 

The pain in my leg has subsided greatly over the past few weeks of therapy. It still is quite bothersome some nights, shaking me awake with the need to move my legs around (and perhaps swiftly kick anyone who might be in proximity..) but I’ve learned that is due to some smaller nerves that may take a bit longer to adjust to where they need to be. And the pain is waiting until the last maybe 20 minutes of long runs to make its presence known so that is also an improvement. Baby steps right?
I finished a great book – the ultramarathon man- confessions of an all night runner. This guy dean is crazy! But good crazy. He’s got an amazing competitive spirit and has pushed himself to limits that I think few people could even fathom. Talk about living in the pain cave! He’s great inspriation and actually a decent writer so if you’re looking for some good summer reading….
A huge congrats to everyone who raced this weekend (and the past few weekends!) I can honestly say that I’ve never known such a group of WINNERS! Its absolutely crazy to know people who are truly amazing in this sport. You guys inspire me to want to be better and to go harder.
Happy “holy crap the summer is flying by” june everyone!

3 comments:

GoBigGreen said...

Try those dr scholl foam inserts in your shoes. If you have carbon soles the shoes may just be too hard. I replace the given insert with the cushion and my feet go "ahhh.."
You arent boring:)

BriGaal said...

What is this blogging once a week? You are so not boring!

Damie said...

I am glad to hear the leg pain/sciatica is getting better. I hope that once you get over the big hump it will be gone. Did you find the dogs????