I read an article in some magazine, I can’t remember which one, I’m a junkie.. but it was talking about how expending mental energy can really affect your athletic performance. I think I’m seeing that these days to some degree. Not that I’m doing brain surgery at work, no way, not by any means, trust me! But we did have an unprecedented round of layoffs last week and I think the build up to that and then the actual act, and now the aftermath – for me that means a lot of extra work coming back my way. Perhaps something that I’m not ready for, or wanting honestly. BUT doing my best to get organized and just take it one day at a time.
I actually feel like I’ve gotten some quality training in the last month. The first part of the year I was always either tapering or recovering and didn’t seem like there was any room to get some good heart pounding work done. But no fear, that’s been taken care of. The heat has been a big factor lately. Riding and running in 90+ degree temps and high humidity is really not fun and sometimes I feel anti-productive but then again, maybe I’m teaching my body to work hard under tough conditions and hopefully that can come in handy at some point. But still, in the meantime, I find myself running around in dripping wet clothes and a water bottle that seems to empty itself out before I can even start to quench my thirst. Gotta love the south…
I’ve been on a mission to get a new bike. I’ve spent the past week or so riding a bunch of bikes and have narrowed the field down to 2 pretty sweet rides. So hopefully tonight after a final ride I’ll have made a decision. I’m pretty stoked to get a TT bike. More to come on that…
Watched some of the us national track championships yesterday. Wow. Talk about leg turnover. Though I have to say I was most amazed with the long jump. Holy crap do they get some air! I actually took a minute and measured out 26 or so feet just to see how far they were jumping. WOW. Try that sometime. The best I got was like what 12 feet? Sad, oh so sad.
Also spent some quality time at whole foods. If I was independently wealthy that would be my full time grocery store. We got these salmon burgers that were fabulous. I was trying to justify buying tuna steaks at 19.99 per pound, considering they looked like ones you’d get at bone fish…. But thought that was just a little too much… picked up some ground flax seed which I’m about to try on my oatmeal, some good cheese and fake bologna (love that!) , some naan bread, and a veggie stir fry. All items that I could most definitely do with out, but what the heck.
Had the weirdest dream last night that I’ll go ahead and share.. it was a Monday morning masters practice and for some reason there were like 100 people there. So weird. Normally we have about 12 or so… so I knew something was up. Especially when the pools were filled with wood chips and part of the workout was going to be to swim and pick up the chips to clean it up… I also noticed some large tables set up along the side of the pool with banners above them with greek letters.. turns out we were learning how to throw a large dinner party this morning. And the master mind behind this morning workout? Who else but jen. I never actually got in the pool, I was actually having a good hair day and didn’t see the need to ruin it to swim in a random figure 8 pattern with the 8 or so others who decided to brave the water. Hmmmmm that’s enough sharing for today.
oh wait, the reason for the title.. out side last night at dusk walking the dogs and catching fireflys. no i didnt put any in a jar nor did i tear the glow part off to make a diamond ring.. too many mishaps in my youth to know that neither of those ideas lead to good things..
Monday, June 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
All that heat training is going to come in very handy when we are racing in AL in mid-August! You'll be flying high and you'll have to scrape me off the road!!! :)
Ground flax - man, NOW we are talking! Omega 3's baby!! :)
oooh!!!! I want to hear what two bikes you have narrowed it down to. Yes- mental energy placed elsewhere takes away from training- I am going through that big time right now. It will pass :)
I agree, post pics of the bike. Congrats!
Oh yeah, remember WAY back in high school when you had to take the SAT and how exhausted you were afterward? Stressful work situations definitely expend energy - which is why we should both quit our jobs, hang out and train.
Okay, now that that's settled...
Have you decided on a bike yet? ;)
Post a Comment