Thursday, April 30, 2009

Finding my compass

Sometimes race time brings absolute chaos into my life. The reason being is that a few days of total (or mostly) rest come with it. While that is usually a welcome to legs tired from running and arms sore from swimming, my mind doesn’t like it so much. It likes to be occupied and when presented with 4 days (in the case of this past race) of rest days, it doesn’t know what to do. I’m the kind of person who can’t even sit still on the couch and read a book. I get antsy pretty fast. Probably why “WE” don’t rent a lot of movies, I get up in the middle and find something to do….

Anyway - For instance, Friday I found myself sweeping out the garage and organizing our donation to the good will. Yes I felt the need to make sure our junk was orderly. Saturday I actually watched some of the NFL draft from my perch on courtney’s couch. Now that my friends is CRAZY. Monday I went on a shopping binge and granted got some good stuff (new pink sun glasses to make my cool factor rise a few points on the bike!) but even then the “what the heck do I do nows” were creeping in. see when you get so used to a schedule and know that you have say two hours of workouts after work and you don’t get finished until about 8:00 or so, you get used to it. And you even sort of crave the hectic –ness of trying to fit in meetings and dinners and drinks with friends and dog walks. So I was itching – at the very least- to get back to the workouts. Last night was a good one for a few reasons. First off, it was a gentle ease back onto the bike, after a kind of knock-out punch in the pool…. But anyway – let’s focus here. So the bike ride. When I first started riding about 2 years ago, bobby used to come out with me all the time, we’d head over to Jordan lake or something and just ride. it was fun. But then he had an epiphany and denounced triathlon (he was the one who got me started in the first place!) and went back to his old love of lifting. Which is cool, I can respect that. so now a days he may come out with me on a cool down or when I’m just wanting to test something out around the neighborhood. But last night I had an hour on the docket and he was game. So out we went over to the library and around some quiet stretches of road. Its funny, cause he likes to sprint up the hills and beat me. Whatever. Yesterday he was drafting off of me which was slightly hilarious since he outweighs me by about 80 pounds. Anyway it was a good night. Good to get back in the saddle, good to be out on a night when the weather was perfect (a bit windy but who’s complaining) and good to have someone who makes me dinner. LOVE that. I did manage to bake some brownies last night, from a box, and only after some of the mix ended up on the floor and one of the eggs almost made it in the bowl… arrrgh.

2 comments:

Jennifer Harrison said...

I would have eaten the brownie batter off the floor. Just sayin.
I USED to be like you "couldn't relax." BUT not anymore, the kids have changed my life and now I beg for the nights I get to lay on my couch in my PJs. :))

Marit C-L said...

Yeah - I've seen Jen eat a stale, 3-day old Peanut M&M off the floor of a 15-passenger van. Brownie batter - she would be ALL over that. And actually - I probably would too :)

Rest days AND taper days leading up to races can be tough. My house is ALWAYS clean in the build up to a big race... EVEN the laundry - and I hate folding and putting away laundry... :) But it gets done. With my training, though - I'm learning to ENJOY the time off...I've got nothing on my schedule next Monday and I couldn't be happier! :)

Oh - how great that you and Bobby bike together! Awesome!